Updated: Jun 30, 2020
Coconut oil is famous throughout the world not only as an edible oil and hair tonic, but also as an excellent massage oil and smoothener for the skin. In the tropical parts of the world where coconuts are readily available and used in many ways, natives commonly spread coconut oil on their skin, as they believe that it protects from the sun’s harmful rays. So this natural oil, without any chemical or additives, can protect the skin in some of the hottest and sunniest places on earth better than our processed and artificial sun creams?
The question is, what makes coconut oil so beneficial for the skin?
The Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconuts are an excellent source of nutrition The oil is arguably the most nutritious and has many health benefits. Coconut oil is over 90% saturated fat and has antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antifungal properties.
Coconut oil also has antioxidant properties and it helps in the absorption of other minerals.
Coconut oil is an incredible source of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs), which have been shown to have many health benefits. Plus it's perfect for this time of year when your skin gets much dryer from the cold weather as well as central heating.
Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFAs)
Most of the fats we consume are long chain fatty acids that must be broken down before they can be absorbed. Coconut oil is high in short and medium chain fatty acids, which are easily digested and sent right to the liver for energy production.
Because MCFAs are sent right to the liver for digestion, no bile or pancreatic enzymes are needed for digestion, making coconut oil a healthy food even for those with diabetes or those who have gallbladder problems.
MCFAs can help increase metabolism since they are sent directly to the liver and give the body an instant source of energy. Most of the MCFAs in coconut oil are the highly beneficial Lauric Acid.
Lauric acid is found in abundance in human breast milk and converts to a substance called monolaurin in the body. Monolaurin has been shown to be useful in increasing immunity and fighting viruses and disease.
Lauric acid in coconut oil in combination with oregano oil. Lauric acid has also been shown to be preventative against some cancers.
Coconut Oil is over 40% lauric acid, the richest source naturally available.
The Many Ways To Use Coconut Oil
If you haven’t already started using coconut oil, there are many ways that you can get this nutrient packed powerhouse into your diet/lifestyle:
In Cooking: Coconut oil is a stable oil that doesn’t break down easily at high temperatures like other oils do. It doesn’t go rancid easily and has amazing nutritional properties. It is great for cooking eggs, stir fries, grain free baked goods, and practically any other cooking use.
2. Skin Lotion: Coconut oil is without question my favorite body and Face lotion. It absorbs quickly and doesn’t leave an oily feeling at all. It makes skin incredibly silky and has wonderful antibacterial/antimicrobial properties. I use it after showering, and on my hands after washing each time or when I do dishes. My hands don’t ever get dry, even in winter. If you want to get really creative, add a couple drops of your favorite essential oil for scent. It can also act as a natural SPF protecting the skin from the suns harmful rays.
3. Delays the aging process – Reduces wrinkles and smoothes them away. Helps skin stay soft, smooth and hydrated.
4. Retains moisture content in the skin and improves health and appearance of the skin
5. Anti-Inflammatory – Helps treat Acne and heals it and prevents it from getting worse.
6. Rich in Vitamin E and K for skin health
7. Can us it as a cleanser
8. Can be used as an exfoliator
9. Softens feet and cracked heels
10. In Smoothies: It’s sweet and nutty taste makes coconut oil a great addition to smoothies. It creates a wonderfully creamy texture and makes smoothies rich and smooth. It also adds a bounty of nutrients and a big dose of healthy fats.
11. Great Snacks: Because it is so filling and nutrient dense, coconut oil is a great addition (or base) for healthy snacks.
12. Eye Make Up Remover: Coconut oil is an excellent eye-make up remover that has been reported to help remove wrinkles and help restore elasticity to the skin. Did I mention it also smells great?
13. Dandruff Remedy and Hair Conditioner: Coconut oil can effectively get rid of dandruff when rubbed into the scalp a couple times a week. It does make hair oily, of course, but I recommend massaging into the scalp before bed and leaving in overnight before rinsing out in the morning. It also helps strengthen hair and add shine as it penetrates the hair better than other oils.
14. As a Cheekbone Highlighter – On top of make-up, just sweep it across the Top of the cheek bone and leave it alone.
15. For Shaving: Using coconut oil in the shower as a shaving soap gives a smooth shave with no irritation (speaking from a woman’s perspective here, don’t know about how it would work for guys). I usually rub on before getting in the shower and then shave in the shower. It doesn’t wash off and moisturizes legs while getting them silky!
16. Massage Oil: Coconut oil makes a great tropical smelling massage oil. I use Coconut in Massages and Facials as well as my hand and foot treatments. It’s such a nourishing and healing oil and my clients notice the results instantly. I love it.
17. Can use it as a mouth wash and cleans bacteria from the mouth, helping with fresh breath, strong healthy gums and teeth as well as naturally whitening the teeth also.
18. In Coffee or Tea: As strange as this might sounds, melting a teaspoon or so of coconut oil in a hot beverage is an easy way to get extra coconut in for the health benefits. I usually add a little to some green tea or herbal tea in the morning. It does take a little getting used to, and is certainly not for everyone, but I like it!
Other Health Benefits Include:
High lauric acid content can help lower cholesterol and blood pressure. It doesn’t increase LDL and helps keep arteries flexible and prevent atherosclerosis
Studies show that coconut oil may help increase thyroid health because of its unique combination of nourishing properties and the fact that it travels directly to the liver without the need for hormones or enzymes in digestion
Coconut oil can help boost metabolism. Since it travels directly to the liver, it is used for energy and not stored as fat. It also helps a feeling of satiety and can assist in weight loss.
Can increase bone strength by allowing better absorption of calcium, vitamin D, and other
It’s antifungal properties have been shown to help reduce candida and yeast in the body and fight yeast infections
Can help fight infection and flu due to its antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial properties
All you need is one thing: Raw (and preferably organic) virgin coconut oil. Get the highest quality available. Always choose refined varities. Avoid cheap ones as these are always chemical based.
All good local health food shops will have Raw Organic Vigin Coconut Oil.
Get using the Coconut Oil today and start seeing the benefits.
So what’s your opinion? Already a coconut oil user? What do you use Coconut for? I would love to know and hear about it below in the comments...